Thursday, October 11, 2007

Concerning Greek text of the new testament

I keep a someday/maybe list to hold all the interesting stuff/ideas/projects that could be valuable or simply fun to pursue, which I haven't yet any resource to commit to at the moment. There's an item "to learn bible Greek" on the list.

Sometimes the original text shed light onto the meanings buried in our translation (ie. NIV, Chinese Union version, King James, ASV etc.), which is obvious only in its original context and language. Sometimes, these 'further understandings', though widely considered redundant to their daily life by most Christians, are just plain essential. Such understandings, which were meant to be readily available to most Christians in the early centuries, become "enlightenments" to our days that is only perceived by particular fellows.

The Word in the bible, when understood as it's meant to be, offers a profound impact on Christian life which should save us from a lot of common struggles and hassles. As it's also put in 2 Timonthy 2:15 "你當......按著正意分解真理的道。"

I am not an advocate on "unusual" knowledge of the scripture. I personally find it a big challenge to and temptation from keeping a genuinely humble heart, as in 1Corinthian 8:1 "但知識是叫人自高自大, 惟有愛心能造就人。" I mean to say, when perceived as a "common sense", such unpopular knowledge serves as great tool to build lives, both of selves and others. We all need to be cautious, as knowledge does puff up our pride, which turns us all into unconscious stupidity.

So, here's a passage on bible Greek. I haven't justified the appropriateness of the text, so it'd better be read critically.


posted by Campion @ 6:48:00 PM